Saturday, September 1, 2012

Cthulhu LARP Masks

So I have finally finished a two-month-long major project: Creating eight original masks for a Cthulhu-themed Live Action Role Playing event. It was a challenge, but I enjoyed almost every minute of it!

The tentacles were made from polyfill fiber stuffed into plastic cones, with a wire center to create the twists and curls. The mask itself was cut from a piece of vinyl, then a layer of fusible webbing was added to the back, then a layer of felt for the wearer's comfort. The front was layered in small sequins. The entire mask was then painted with liquid latex. The paint job is entirely done by hand. Then a clear coat to seal everything completed the piece!

I couldn't believe how long it took me. I set them up assembly-line style, so they were all completed right around the same time. I think much of the time was waiting for the glue to dry, and of course those damn tentacles. If I were to make just one, I think it would take me a week... times that by eight... yeah, two months! I'm glad I got started nice and early...

Each mask is different, but they all look like something crawled up from the deep ocean... with the sole purpose of driving me completely insane. I read H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu for inspiration, along with an entire book of other Lovecraft stories of the weird. I can't believe I never read them before; they were perfectly to my strange tastes. Cthulhu fhtagn! :D

This project was a blast, but I need a break after all the hectic insanity. No rest for the wicked though; I have a bridal party that needs hair clips!