Friday, November 19, 2010

Up Late Again...

Sleep and I have always had a love/hate relationship.

LOVE:
I love the feeling of sleeping. I love cuddling into a soft, warm bed (unfortunately, my bed is neither of those things these days... need new mattress and money for the heating bill!) and if I'm lucky, my husband's at my side and/or my puppy's at my feet. I love the feeling of slipping into sleep. Most of all I love to dream. My dreams are chaotic, random, unpredictable, filled with strange imagery and twisting plotlines. I love to wake up and take a few minutes to write my dreams down. I look for clues to subliminal thoughts, or hints at the future, or just enjoying the story line. Even my nightmares are at least interesting, unless it's the usual bugs-and-spiders-taking-over-everything.

HATE:
Nights like this, when I know I should be sleeping but I'm not. It's not quite insomnia. It's not that I'm tired and can't fall asleep. I probably could if I laid down and tried. I just don't want to sleep yet. I feel like I have better things to do. Sometimes spending 6-8 hours doing absolutely nothing productive just feels like a waste of time. I know it's essential for body function and all that whatnot, it just feels like a waste. I could be knitting or crafting or reading or painting or a billion other things. If I didn't need to sleep, or at least if I needed less sleep, let's say just two hours a night, I could spend the other night hours doing so much stuff I never seem to have time to during the day.

AND YET... I complain that sleep is not productive, and what am I doing instead of sleeping? F-ing around on the internet, of course. So productive! Oh well. I suppose it could be construed as productive, because I use this time to keep up with all my favorite artists, writers, and musicians that help keep me inspired. One such person is my favorite author, Neil Gaiman, who has asked all his fans who blog or communicate in any other way to share this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2024077040/neil-gaimans-the-price?ref=search
It is an amazing story being brought to life in an amazing fashion by an amazing independent director, but it needs help to be produced. Kickstarter is an awesome website where you can donate money to be put into various projects, and help creative people get a start. I wish I had enough money to donate to nearly half the projects I see there! I think it's fantastic that people can choose projects they want to see happen and be a part of the process to make that happen. Another of my favorite Kickstarter projects is this one:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/812334444/uberdork-cafe-a-dork-with-a-dream?ref=search
which has already been funded and I am excited to follow her progress on Twitter! It's a local project so I'll be able to see this place start up from the very beginning.

Anyway, I'm going to try to quell my excitement and get some sleep. I have a lot to do tomorrow to prepare for the craft show I have this Saturday. If you are local, here's the info: Turner Hall in Watertown, WI from 9:30 to 4. It's called Deer Widow's Weekend (cheesy, I know, but this is Wisconsin after all!) and it looks like there will be some fun handmade-item vendors there so stop in and check it out!

Listening to: Faun and Qntal (great for falling asleep to)
Pics: Some items to be featured in the show this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment